Advance Directives for New Hampshire

An Advance Directive is a set of legal documents that let your care team know what kind of medical decisions to make on your behalf if you're not able to communicate for yourself. This way, in the event of a medical emergency, your wishes will still be honored. Scroll down to access all of the forms you need!

Looking for another state? See our directory of Advance Care Directives by State

What forms does New Hampshire include?

Healthcare Proxy

This document, often called the Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, lets you designate someone else to make medical decisions for you in case you're unable to make those decisions yourself.

Living Will

A Living Will can go by many names (Directive, Treatment Preferences, Advanced Care Plan, etc), but its purpose is always the same: to ensure that your medical wishes are documented in case you're unable to voice them yourself. A Healthcare Proxy will use your Living Will to make decisions.

HIPAA Release

Signing a HIPAA Release ensures that your Healthcare Proxy will have access to the medical information needed to make up-to-date decisions about your care.


Short for Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment or Portable Medical Order, this form is only relevant for people for whom end-of-life is imminent. It is a physician’s order that outlines a plan for end-of-life care that reflects both your preferences and the doctor's judgment based on medical evaluation.

Where can I find the forms I need?

Healthcare Proxy and Living Will
The New Hampshire Health Care Association provides a downloadable PDF of an Advance Health Care Directive, linked below. Note that the terminology they use for a Healthcare Proxy is a "Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care". The form should be signed by two witnesses and notarized.
Get your New Hampshire forms >

HIPPA Release
Prepare a HIPPA release form in order to allow your family to get access to the health information they need in case of an emergency. The HIPPA Journal provides an easy and convenient way to get the forms you need.
Get your HIPPA release form >

POLST (Portable Medical Orders)
Prepare a Portable Medical Order (POLST) form if you are nearing end-of-life and want to create a formal document accepted in medical settings. The National POLST organization provides detailed information about the POLST process and gives you access to the forms you need to make your wishes official.
Get your POLST form >


What do I do with my forms?
After completing your forms, make sure to store them in a safe place where your family can access them in case of a medical emergency. You may also upload a digital copy to your Lantern end-of-life plan so your family has easy access to it from anywhere, whenever they need it.
Learn more about Lantern's end-of-life planning resources >

Looking for another state? See our directory of Advance Care Directives by State

Plan for more than just healthcare

An Advance Care Directive is a great place to start your end-of-life plans, but don't stop there! Create a full pre-plan (one that includes an Advanced Care Directive) to leave loved ones with answers, rather than questions. A pre-plan is a collection of what you'd like to happen in your absence across all facets of your life.

At Lantern, we’ve created an online hub that guides you through what you need to consider so you can leave a clear roadmap for your loved ones when they need it most.